Protecting Children in the Catholic Church
The Perth Catholic Archdiocese is committed to the safety and security of all children and young people.
The Diocese recognises the need to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults and aims to achieve this through the Safeguarding Project. The Project is child focused and informed by a fundamental belief that children have the right to physical and psychological safety at all times.
Policies and proceedures have been put in place throughout the parish and all clergy, staff and volunteers are required to comply with the policy, procedures and practices outlined in the project. Trained Safeguarding Officers have been appointed your parish and their role is to assist you in all matters pertaining to concerns regarding the safety of children and vulnerable adults.
- Link to Archdiocese of Perth Safeguarding website
- Link to the Safeguarding Handbook
- Form 1 Safeguarding Officer Nomination
- Form 2 Personal Declaration
- Form 18 Handbook Declaration
Our Safeguarding Officers
6.00pm Vigil Mass – Ryan Gonsalves 0423 708 777
7:30am Mass – Marie Chaperon
9.00am Mass – Tina Fernandes
11.00am Chinese Mass
Gregory Lo 0435 383 417
Augustine Lai 0402 185 248
Juliana Tseng 0438 864 689
Roles and Responsibilities of Parish Safeguarding Officers
The role of Parish Safeguarding Officers is key to ensuring that parishes meet the Archdiocese of Perth’s safeguarding responsibilities in all aspects of service that they undertake. They will be required to:
- be a source of support, advice and information on all matters of safeguarding children and vulnerable adults in the parish
- be the first point of contact for children, vulnerable adults and other members of the parish community regarding suspicions of abuse and other safeguarding concerns
- respond to all safeguarding concerns in line with the Archdiocese’s Safeguarding Policy and Procedures manual, reporting these concerns to the Safeguarding Project Coordinator and/or other authorities, as needed
- keep the Parish Priest informed of all concerns, responses and activities relating to safeguarding children and other members of the parish community
- raise the profile of safeguarding in the parish, ensuring that it remains a high priority, and report on any issues or concerns with the implementation of the safeguarding policy and procedures
- assist with proactive measures within parishes to safeguard children
- ensure that all statutory requirements are met within parishes in respect to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults.